Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.

My husband has been put on stomach tube feeding. His

Customer Question

My husband has been put on stomach tube feeding. His eppiclottis no longer functions because of radiation for throat cancer. He is cancer free & not confined & active..only has to have oxygen because of lung cancer in the past. Is there anything we can do to get to where he can eat by mouth again. His food asperates to his lungs because of epclottis failure. I read even of natural remedies @ certain hospitals. We feel helpless.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: His age is 74 & he had throat cancer @ 57, later lung & prostate cancer but has been cancer free for yrs. Had open heart surgery ab/5 yrs ago. They told us the radiation to his throat ruined his epiglottis but he ate by mouth until ab/ 6 mo. ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.

No there is not. There is no natural remedy to cure an epiglottis and swallowing mechanism damaged by radiation. There is more to this than just damage to the epiglottis The radiation has damaged many structures in the area. Nothing is going to restore the structures to a healthy state. I am sorry. Its best to enjoy the time that you have with him as opposed to pursuing expensive and unproven treatments that will not benefit him.