Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Dr. D, Doctor said it is alright to take 10mg of Prozac for

Customer Question

Dr. D,Doctor said it is alright to take 10mg of Prozac for two weeks then stop taking it. I am trying to transition to natural treatment. To get the most accurate diagnostics I hope to flush Prozac out of my system in the quickest way possible. Would it be safe to take 10mg every other day for two weeks instead?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

To taper off the Prozac, it would usually be safest to take an intermediate dose for a couple weeks. At the dose that you have been taking, it would usually be better to take the 10 mg dose daily, as recommended by your doctor, so that the current step down to 10 mg and the step that you will take in two weeks are similar in size.

Taking 10 mg every other day is an option, but that would mean that the current step will be much larger than the step that you will take in two weeks.

The second regimen will be only slightly quicker, because you will still take the last dose in 2 weeks, and the only reason that the second regimen will be any quicker is because it will be at a lower peak blood level when you are taking it evey other day, which will equate to being out of your system about one day or so sooner, and the trade-off would be a larger step now.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.