Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

SEEKING MD Infectious disease/SINUS EXPERT, ASAP I am a 66yo

Customer Question

SEEKING MD Infectious disease/SINUS EXPERT, ASAP

I am a 66yo with several .potentially serious chronic medical conditions including chronic ethmoid sinusitis which, fortunately, has been stable for several years. A few minutes ago, I was cleaning up my kitchen sink area, and, although I have never used it since having it installed 4+ years ago, I decided to clean out my garbage disposal with some baking soda and vinegar (which combines to form a mild "explosion.")

Anyway, after doing that three times without covering the disposal opening or wearing any mask and watching from above, I then realized that the "chemical explosion" was apparently "aerosolizing" and possibly going up my nose and into my sinuses. And, since the disposal hadn't been cleaned out in a long time (since I have never used it), I'm now concerned that a bunch of bad bacteria went up into my nasal pasage and into my sinuses and will potentially cause my ethmoid sinusitis to become worse.

Or, hopefully, would that aerosol just be composed of the harmless baking soda/vinegar mix?  Again, although I had not cleaned the disposal out in a long time, I have never put any food, etc in it.

Can you please let me know, ASAP what you think-- and, if there's anything that I should/could do-- such as a NeilMed sinus rinse. Or if nothing is necessary.  Thank you for a very prompt expert response. Jon

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

thanks for this question.

vinegar fumes can be very irritating to the nose and sinuses.

next time, you may want to wear a mask for face mask if your nose and sinuses are sensitive to smells or if you are worried about bacteria from cleaning.

your nose and sinuses are used to handling bacteria and fumes and dust and pollution in the air.

you have natural mechanisms that the body has to help fight off infections from bacteria in the air which can get into your sinuses.

I would go outside and take some deep breaths and clear out your head and sinuses

you don't have to do a sinus rinse.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your response. And, I'm sure that you are a true expert in your field. But, I noticed that your specialty is Radiation Oncology, and I was wishing to get feedback from a physician whose practice is more involved with infectious diseases and sinus issues.

For that reason, I would greatly appreciate it if you would please "OPT OUT" of my question, ASAP, so that my question can immediately be reposted and answered by one of the other physicians who does frequently deal with infectious disease and sinus issues. Thank you very much.

Jon

sure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Again, please "OPT OUT" now so that my question can immediately be reposted and answered by one of the other physicians who does frequently deal with infectious disease and sinus issues. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the late reply but i have been offline. ANyway i have gone through your question and can i ask have you noticed any worsening of symptoms since this event? ANy increase in discharge? Post nasal drip? Any facial pain?