Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have severe back pain and arthritis. I can't sleep laying

Customer Question

I have severe back pain and arthritis. I can't sleep laying down and sleep in a recliner. I'm taking Valium every 8 hrs and hydrocodone every 6 Hrs. I am so depressed and cry often. My dr said definitely no driving on this medicine. When can I drive after this medicine is gone. Only 2 pills of each are left. My back was injured in a car wreck in 1964. 3rd and 4th lumbar. What can I do? Thanks for your help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have been in pain for so long.

you should be seeing a pain management doctor

it sounds like you are depressed as well. you may benefit from antidepression medications like cymbalta or elavil which can help decrease some nerve pain as well.

you shouldn't stop the valium and hydrocodone suddenly or else you will have withdraw symptoms

you need to talk to your doctor about slowly tapering down the valium and hydrocodone to stop these medications

you may benefit from a spine TENs unit or an implanted spinal stimulator to help decrease spine pain

you may benefit from a steroid injection into your spine to help decrease pain.

once your pain medication dose is much lower or gone, then you may be able to drive and have some freedom

let me know if you have questions.