Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Iam asking for my mother. she is 82 and was diagnosed with

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** iam asking for my mother. she is 82 and was diagnosed with short term memory loss. About 2 months ago she told my dad she had a really bad stomach and had just thrown up. This went on for a few days so they went to the doctor and did am ultra sound and some blood tests. The blood work showed her tyroid was way off and of course she didnt why, turned out my dad found her pills in her pocket about 7 days worth. My dad has her back on her meds. but she still wouldnt eat or drink anything. My dad then had to take her to the emergency for dehydration. My sister and I flew up to their house and helped him but my mom was a lot worse then we thought. she sleeps all day. cant move around on her own will still not eat. She says shes full. not that shes not hungry but full. Its hard to tell if she thinks she already ate and is full, or does her stomach just feel full. They did a Hideascan with the cck and it came out clear. Now she says her left leg hurts really bad and shes very wobbly when she trys to walk so she needs help walking and doesnt really talk at all. She is scheduled for a scope down the throat on Wed. but were afraid if that comes out clear the doctors wont do anything. Her mother died of esophegus cancer if that helps.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: my father is keeping tract of her medications like when she takes them and also
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Im not sure what you mean. they know all of her medications and how long shes been taking them if thats what you mean
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your mother. Can you clarify your medical query, are you asking whether these symptoms can indicate if your mother has oesophageal cancer or not? Or are you asking about the causes for her leg pain and balance issues?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This has been going on for 2 months and all the tests keep coming back clear so i am asking if these symptoms could be something they're not checking fo

Thank you for the additional information, ill just compose my answer and get back to you in few minutes

Im sorry i just got a call from the ICU and i have to rush there, i apologise for the inconvienience but ill open up the question to other experts and they will be along momentarily to answer your query. Please dont reply to this response as that will lock the question to me again. i apologise again.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. I'm sorry to hear of your mom's medical problems. It seems that her dehydration has been resolved and her thyroid is under control with the medication. If the consideration of esophageal cancer is considered mom will need to be scoped (have an endoscopy) to determine if there is a tumor and if so a biopsy of the tumor. I would also consider getting mom to a Neurologist and getting a MRI and MRA to rule out Alzheimer's disease or Multi infarct Dementia as a cause of her problems.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please kindly rate me 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my mom has also had a CT scan that came out clear
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

A CT scan can determine a bleed, but the MRI MRA is much more sensitive to determine Alzheimer disease as is an evaluation from a Neurologist.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she has had a nurologist for about a year and has had all tests so we know she has short term memory loss, what we dont know is whats wrong now with all the symptoms i explained that have been going on for the past 2 months
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

That's what you are going to find out when she is scoped. If there is no evidence of esophageal cancer, then, conservative therapy would be appropriate. Do your parents have long term health insurance? If so, consider a placement in an Assisted Living Facility for the two of them. If not, then discuss physical therapy to stabilize mom's walking. An aide to assist with meals and bathing (most insurance will cover 4 hours daily) for this help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they have insurance and no they don't need assissted living, my father is taking good care of her. she doesn't need physical therapy. she has major pain in her left leg which is why she needs assisstance walking. I have checked syptoms for esphoegus cancer and she doesn't have any of them. I'm worried the scope proceedure is not going to show anything either. My question was with all the symptoms I have given you, and every test already done that has come back clean could there be anything the doctors are missing a test they should do that they have not. Do these symptoms appear to be something you think they should test for?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

If all of the studies come back with normal results and cancer is ruled out, then a form of dementia put be considered. This can cause most of the symptoms mom has (decreased desire to eat, decreased social interaction). Hypothyroidism and Vitamin B12 deficiency and Folate deficiency can also cause her symptoms. If all of these come back normal, then it must be accepted that it is a form of dementia that is the cause.