khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Get burning pains in my liner/throat when I walk/run the

Customer Question

get burning pains in my liner/throat when I walk/run the more intense I get the more intense the pain gets. I do not have symptoms of acid reflux,gerds or lactic acidosis. I think it is some how associated with the muscles and nerves in my back being knotted.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: Thank you!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I do not have a fever, the symptoms have been over 2.5 years. But, only 2 things would trigger the pain. One was running, and I stopped running and the other was if I had sex while laying on my back {and I didn't have sex very often} Now even walking causes the burn.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. There are several causes of your problem. GERD (acid reflux) is one even though you don't think it is. While asleep, acid from your stomach may come up through your esophagus into the back of your mouth causing the burning sensation. Another is exercised induced asthma. The reason I consider EIA, is because the events are triggered by exertion. May I suggest a visit to your doctor for evaluation. Your doctor may refer you to either a Gastroenterologist or to a Pulmonologist for further evaluation. In the mean time you can try to treat (GERD) with over the counter Nexium. If it turns out to be asthma, then an inhaler prior to exercise or sexual activity will help reduce your symptoms. Unfortunately, the inhalers require a prescription.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please kindly rate me 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I respect your credentials, but, respectfully ***** ***** your assessment. I disagree for lots of reasons, but mostly because I don't have any of the symptoms of either of these suggestions other than the burning, which according to the internet could be the cause of about anything imaginable.If exercise induced asthma why only with 2 exercise movements and no others even though some of the others are more intense punching heavy bag, karate lifting weights {granted not very much cardio involved in lifting weights when one is in good physical shape, just another example of one of many kinds of exercises that i do that does not bother it}. I have a modest home, but oer 1100 square feet of exercise room and equipment, plus an 300 square feet of dedicated boxing and martial arts space. I only add this to say i'm 60 yrs old have exercised and competed my whole life, so i feel i am a little bit in touch with my body. I can literally eat any kind of food hot cold spicy etc with no problems. In saying that I eat very bland and healthy, if a bit too much at times. Not only can I box well enough to do it long enough and with intensity that vastly exceeds jogging, also rowing exercise bike, can hang upside down on possum/inversion for good quality time even doing inverted sit ups hanging upside down.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

My response was based on the information you initially provided. The sensation you describe is not related to muscle spasm in your back. May I suggest you see your PCP and discuss your symptoms so an evaluation can be started. I will opt out of your question so another expert can try to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! I have already made another appt w/a medical doctor.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be most appreciated.
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 months ago.

You are 60 years old. Are you a male or a female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Exactly where is the pain? On a scale of 0-10, what is it with 0 being no pain and 10 being the strongest pain? Does anything make it better or worse? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other problems? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Have you seen a doctor for it? If so, what tests did you have? Any family medical history? Is your stress increased just before the symptom started?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
male, 5'9", 189lbs. weight changes yes, when i first started having these problems i was around 180 lbs. and started trying to lose weight got down to 163.1 lbs. changed fitness goals and wanted to gain muscle got up to 174.7 lbs. Was working out 4 to 6 hrs a day mostly 7 days a week and wore my body out, had to take about a year off because my body was not recovering. Bored ate too much and not as healthy as i should have. And sometimes actually ate badly. Got up to 200.3 lbs.down now to 189.3 lbs. Upper middle back-w/muscles & nerves at times feels like trapped gas. Liner and throat. Back is not as painful as it was 2.5 yrs ago, don't really feel like trapped gas anymore-that was definitely a 10. Now it's probrably more like a 1 or 2 normally unless the upper back gets fatigued, then it will get a little higher. Started accupuncture and trigger point massage last week, I feel both are helping, more time will tell. I will also start chiropractic this week. Throat and liner 9or 10 when I walk. Note-Walking never used to trigger the pain at any intensity. Other exertions can cause it also, this only started the last 3 weeks. I think thes will decline as the fatigue in my back declines. Up until the last 1.5 weeks my pulse was getting better pre-exercise and at highest intensity. I obviously over worked my back doing things I was not used to. A lot of painting. I think the tiredness in my upper back some how started affecting my throat and liner more. And Friday before last, pushing myself painting when I was really tired caused my upper bck shoulders and elbows tremendous pain. Which caused intense pain [10] in my throat and liner off and on for hrs. This was really scary because I was not doing anything intense I was not even doing anything and the pain was terrible off and on for hrs. I wasn't doing anything that I could stop so I never knew when or if it was going to stop. That day and night was by far the worst, as my back has rested, pretty much only throat and liner pain when I walk. One other mystery up until recently when ever I ran/or recently walked if I would build up intensity for long enough I could taper off let the pain subside and then exercise hard again and usually with no burning. Now it is more difficult to recover and when I build back up intensity the burning comes back as well. {This might be temporary until my back rests up but i'm not sure}. Started 2.5 yrs ago but would only affect me running or having sex on my back. And, I quit running to work more on strength and building muscle, so for approximately 2 of those years it was not a huge concern. It would still bother me some while having sex on my back, but, I was not having sex veryoften. So the problem didn't seem as great. But, I started jogging again 4 or 5 months ago with some throat and liner pain. And then a couple of months ago [nothing to do with throat or liner] I quit jogging and would just exercise, lift weights and walk. And sometime in that 2 month period the pain in my throat and liner started burning when I would walk. Obviously not as intensely as when I used to run, but certainly got much more intense after I fatigued my upper back. It is consistent,it has certainly been worse the last 1.5 weeks. No other problems! I think one of 2 things might have triggered it 2.5 yrs ago. #1. Lots of supplements [natural]. Or #2. Combination lots of supplements that helped me get way stonger and with tremendously more muscle endurance. Example 300 to 350 pull ups and chin ups [many assissted by Gravatron] plus many other sets of exercises for back and biceps, at 57 yrs old, 100 push ups in 52 seconds[company record]. I feel it was the second choice, I had to stop working my back and biceps for awhile because I developed Bursitus in my left elbow, my elbow filled up with huge amounts of fluid. Within a month of stopping the fluids in my elbow went away and I started gradually working out those muscle groups again. No medical problems, No surgeries, No medications of any kind. Herbs last 10 days plus natural vitamins and supplements regularly, all natural. Because of #1 I stopped taking all supplements for months without any noticeable effects good or bad. 2.5 yrs ago saw 2 different medical doctors, both just guessed at acid reflux without really listening. I told them I didn't think it was acid reflux but they just thought I was being hard headed. But, when I went home and researched acid reflux online I didn't have any of the symptoms except for burning in the throat and liner and then only when I was doing 1 of the 2 exercises. so , when you combine I didn't have any of the other symptoms, and the burning could be caused by alot of different things and more importantly acid reflux is not induced by exercise. Nine days ago I went to an Alternative health doctor,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he looked into my eyes and listened to my story and symptoms. He said I had lactic acidosis and thin spots in my liner. this sounded right it sure sounded logical with my story. The problem again was when I looked online I didn't have any of the symptoms of lactic acidosis. He also said that you are supposed to have 3 layers of skin covering your nerves and mine had been worn down so that I had exposed nerves, sort of like what can happen with a tooth. I think ther might be some accuracy to this. sold me 4 bottles of herbs that I am taking. #1. Natural care- Nerve Fix, #2. Crystal Star-Muscle relaxer, #3. Pro Health-Guaifenesin FA, #4. Lane Labs-Nature's Lining. 2.5 yrs ago threadmill stress test,[total waste of time] I only agreed because they told me that they would let me run on the test-this did not happen. As I h ad assured them I could walk at any speed,with any altitude for any distance and that it would not trigger any reaction and that my heart was and had always been very strong. After walking at length they told me the machine was having problems and for me to sit for awhile to see if they could figure out what was wrong. And, because they couldn't get the machine to work right they said I wouldn't be able to run. I asked if we should reschedule and they said that wouldn't be necessary, that they had everything that they needed and that my heart was fine. The doctor was supposed to set an appt. for me to go over the test, but afte r2 weeks I got tired of waiting and called and made an appt. When I met with him he said everything looked fine. No family medical history of this, but there really couldn't be because nobody in my family works out. Never before was there any stress before I worked out, but now there is because I anticipate the intense bad pain I will be in before I can gain the benefits of the good pain. But, regular or life stress I don't believehas ever been a concern. I'm not big on worrying.

You should see an ear-nose-throat specialist and a GI doctor to have your throat and oesophagus checked and have CT scan or MRI of the neck to see if you have myofascial pain syndrome to have the knots checked.