Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My new girlfriend is awesome, but we had an STD scrare. It

Customer Question

My new girlfriend is awesome, but we had an STD scrare. It turned out to be Trachimosias (sp?). In the interim, I had 2 herpes blood test exams, and came up negative both times. My girlfriend went to a clinic that tested her for Chlamydia, Syphlis and HIV. However, they said they only do herpes blood tests if a physical exam shows symptoms and the physical exam showed nothing, according to the doctor. Does this make sense?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: They did no specimen test, just a physical exam.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. My girlfriend is extremely honest and tells me she did not have sex with anyone for 4 years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this makes sense. The current recommendation of the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPTF) is to not do testing in adolescents and adults that are not having any symptoms. This recommendation is based on a relatively high rate of false positives in the general population that does not have any symptoms.

There are some experts that recommend consideration of testing in someone with a sexual history that entails a high risk, but that has not been endorsed by the USPTF. It also does not sound like she has a high risk sexual history. There are also some people that are very anxious about the possibility of acquiring genital herpes, and testing may be appropriate to relieve the anxiety in such situation if they cannot otherwise be reassured.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.