Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Just looking for doctors who treat burning mouth syndrome, I

Customer Question

Just looking for doctors who treat burning mouth syndrome
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: I have had sjogrens for 8 years and burning mouth syndrome has been one of my main symptoms of pain. Can't brush with toothpaste and sometimes can't brush at all. Also have celiace and hashimotos
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: In addition, they have tacked on fibromyaligia because of widespread muscle pain. Also bad tmj.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Burning mouth syndrome can be related to many other chronic medical conditions, but any medical condition that causes a chronic dry mouth can cause the development of burning mouth syndrome. And this is the primary mechanism by which Sjogren's syndrome can cause burning mouth syndrome.

Treatment for the burning mouth syndrome should be oriented towards treatment of the underlying Sjogren's syndrome and dry mouth and treatment directly oriented towards the relief of the burning symptoms. You and your doctor are probably already addressing the Sjogren's syndrome, Treatments that directly relieve the burning include local treatments in the mouth or systemic treatments. Local treatments include the use of lidocaine, a numbing medicine, or capsaicin, a medicine that blocks a substance that starts the pain message. Systemic treatments include various medicines that suppress the nerve message of the burning, including certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapetin, topiramate, or clonazepam, or certain antidepressants, such as sertraline or duloxetine.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.