Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I constantly have a lot of vaginal discharge that is thin,

I constantly have a lot of vaginal discharge that is thin, yellow, odorless and does not cause itching. What can it be and what should I do about it? I am 72 years old and sexually inactive.

without other discomforts, this discharge can be caused by a harmless, hormonal imbalance. So I would recommend the local use of lactic acid (over-the-counter at pharmacy), which will regulate the vaginal flora and should resolve the problem.

Kind regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating (3-5 stars).
Thanks a lot, all the best for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The doctor did not tell me HOW to use the lactic acid. He used the word "locally," but I have no idea what that means. Do I apply it to the vaginal area or do I douche with it?

you should use it vaginal one time a day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should tell you that I erred in my question. The discharge DOES cause severe itching in the vulvar region.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you may have a vaginal infection. My first thought when reading you question was a possible menopausal/hormonal related problem. However, now that you state you have itching, I would consider a yeast infection to be the cause. Since you are sexually inactive, I would not think you would have Chlamydia or Bacterial Vaginosis. There are several things you can do to get rid of this problem before scheduling a visit to your Gynecologist. Purchase a package of Monistat suppositories (3 days) and insert one into your vagina at night upon retiring. Another "home cure" is using plain yogurt inserted into your vagina for 4-5 nights. Usually, 3-4 plastic teaspoons full is enough. Also, wear only cotton underwear that contains no synthetic fibers like polyester or nylon. Also loose fitting pants that are also total cotton or wool. If you still have the itching or discharge after 5 days of treatment, then schedule an appointment.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience: Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO