Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Would a lipase level of 22 be considered low? I have been

Customer Question

would a lipase level of 22 be considered low?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have been having stomach pain....I though associated to my GERD. I have been on prilosec for about 10 years. Doctor tested my Lipase level and came back at 22
JA: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: nausea yes. it comes and goes. When I eat I feel like it is getting stuck in the pit of my stomach like where my indigestion usually is
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am being treated for low Vitamin D. They are also doing blood tests for my thyroid. TSH level will be .4 then retested 2 months later and it is .6. A year later is was 1.5. My next physical is was back to .4. They aren't treating it. I have gained 30 pounds over the past 6 months. Atkins diet always would work for me. I keep trying it, yet I will gain?? Any opinions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

A normal lipase level is 0-160 U/L

level of 22 is not considered low.

GERDs and excessive stomach acid production can cause gastritis inflammation of your stomach and pain below the left ribs and nausea

you may need to avoid spicy foods, fried foods, alcohol, sodas, tomato sauces, large meals, fatty meals to help your stomach acid symptoms.

how old are you? it looks like your TSH levels are normal

are you male or female?

have you worked on adding in regular exercise and weight training?

have you seen a nutritionist or dietician to help you with meal planning and eating healthier?