Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My question is for a cardiologist. A year and a half ago my

Customer Question

My question is for a cardiologist. A year and a half ago my heart rate ,even with exercise, seemed to stay in the 40's. In addition my EKG showed AFIB. So, a year ago June i had an ablation and installed a pacemaker. All worked fine for about 9 months to a year. Then we noticed on my routine cardio exam that my seated heart rate was 80-90.After a while the rate goes back down to about 60,but simply getting up and moving causes the rate to jump up. I had MEDTRONIC check my pacemaker yesterday and found that it had recorded, over the past three months, 5 incidents of brief( a few seconds) tachycardia around 170. So, yesterday i began taking 150 mg. of Rytmonorm( Latino name for the med).Fortunatelt my EKG remains normal except for the rapid heart rate. I am 78 years old and exercise at the gym 5 days a week. I take 5 mg Amlodopine/160 Valsartan for Blood pressure,which has been fine for 8 years. My diet is excellent with fish 4-5 times a week, no fried foods, planty of fruits and veggies(juiced and otherwise).I smoke less than one small cigarillo per day, and drink a quarter of a liter of rum per day. Is it possible that these two factors are the sole cause of this change from Bradycardia to Tachycardia? I have always smoked and drank the same amounts for many years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess it's going to take you folks a bit of time to respond. I realize that my situation is somewhat unusual.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how much do you smoke and drink?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr. Phil: I still have not received your my rapid heart beat. Did you also receive my message re: Clonozapan?

I was asking how much you smoke or drink?