Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have a sensation of a lump in the right hand side of my

Customer Question

I have a sensation of a lump in the right hand side of my throat.No Pain, just discomfort and sensation of pressure The doctor suggested a viral infection but this was last week. Can you help
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: the lump is not visible I just have a sensation when swallowing of a cup there
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not really
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Do you have feeling that "something struck in throat"?

Have you recently taken antibiotics or pain killer medications?

Is there any pain/burning sensation down the throat?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of having "sensation of a lump in the right side of your throat with discomfort and sensation of pressure is most likely due to a condition called as globus sensation.That is persistent or intermittent sensation of feeling of lump inside throat or foreign body or something else in the throat.Its most common causes are:gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter,stress,psychological or psychiatric disorders.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD) is the most common & most probable cause of your symptoms.Following will help you greatly:

• Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.

• Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.

Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly. The symptoms usually gets subside within couple of days.If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms of this feeling of lump inside throat will be relieved with these treatments.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh