Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Hellos, I have herniated discs in my neck that cause severe

Customer Question

Hellos, I have herniated discs in my neck that cause severe pain to radiate down both my arms, and herniated discs in my lower back that cause severe back pain and sciatica down my left leg. Furthermore, I have fibromyalgia that gives me all sorts of pain. My cervical radiculopathy was misdiagnosed 7 years ago as "stress" by a neurologist and because I did not treat the pain it has become chronic and the pain has traveled to my shoulders, chest and upper back.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I used to take Percocet and that helped it. But the doctor I was seeing left his practice and gave me a huge prescription (Florida…) and I began to self-medicate…and I tried every sort of physical therapy… and I went to the 6 week the intensive pain program at Sierra Tucson which didn't help - they had me leave with pain pills…finally I got on Suboxone…unfortunately the doctor I went to didn't have me do an induction - just put me on 16 mg (and I had just detoxed myself so I was basically "opiate naive")…I got hyperalgesia from the suboxone which has worked Wonderfully for me before the hyperalgesia - took away almost all my pain and I felt like I felt before the pain - "normal" as most report - I could write (I"m a writer), I could go out, I could take care of my elderly parents.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I suppose I am writing this to try to get help with how I can get help with this problem. I want to stay on the Suboxone because it has helped me so very much…I think one of the reasons people feel "normal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The usual method for chronic use of Suboxone for relief of back pain is to see a Pain Management specialist.

If you can tell me where you live, I can try to find such physicians in your area.