Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I was wondering what could cause an ALT level of 50 U/L? i

Customer Question

I was wondering what could cause an ALT level of 50 U/L?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i just got the results online haven't heard from the doctor, recenetly i have taken nexium and currently have a stomach virus of sorts where when i eat i'm very tried and easily bloated
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: no one week and healing
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: generally speaking i have been sick more often than i have in the past 10 years
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

The normal range for ALT will vary slightly from one lab to another, but the upper limit can be as much as 56. What is the upper limit of the normal range for this lab?

I assume that you did not mention any other labs that the remaining liver tests were all normal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the range the lab specified was 0-36

Thank you. Then this is a true elevation. If the upper limit for this lab was 48, a level of 50 would still be labeled as high, but it is still essentially normal.

This also is a very mild elevation. The liver enzymes are very sensitive, and active inflammation will commonly elevate the liver enzyme tests into the 100s and 1000s. Any elevation up to five time the upper limit of the normal range is considered a mild elevation. So, for this lab, an elevation up to 180 is a mild elevation, and an elevation of 50 is a very mild elevation.

A very mild elevation in ALT can occur from a generic viral infection. Since you have had a stomach virus, then it is very likely that this is from that stomach virus. The proof that it is from the virus would be repeating the ALT again a few weeks after resolution of the viral infection,

If there is chronic mild elevation of the ALT, there are many possible causes, but the most common is from fatty infiltration of the liver. There are also a variety of other liver conditions that can affect the ALT.

At this point, it is most likely due to the stomach virus, and as the virus resolves, the ALT elevation will likely also resolve.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You just saved me hours of stress, thank you!

You are most welcome.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.