Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I'm a teacher and every year I get bronchitis. Every year I

Customer Question

I'm a teacher and every year I get bronchitis. Every year I go back to work thinking I'm getting better, only to make myself worse. This year I have been exercising and I'm now worried that I'll either go back to work and exercising too soon and get worse, OR my bigger fear is that I'll give myself to much "recoup" time and lose my exercise incentive. Is there a typical way to actually gauge this??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help you today. I think you are asking how can I avoid getting ill after going back to teaching. Bronchitis is usually caused by a viral infection. If you continue getting sick when exposed to your students, you may have an underlying medical problem such as asthma. May I suggest you schedule an appointment with a Pulmonologist for a full evaluation and if needed, treatment to help you feel better.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. We are credited only after you give a positive rating of 5 stars for the information I provided. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I usually only have one episode a year. It just seems I think I'm feeling better, then I go back to work and it's like I have a major rebound. It's kind of an unanswerable question, but I was more curious about how long you should wait to go back. I always seem to go back too early and end up missing more time.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

You may want to wait until all of your symptoms such as cough, wheeze, shortness of breath and easy fatigue are completely gone before you begin your exercise program. Start exercising at a slow pace and if you get short of breath, stop and rest, then re-start your exercise. Don't push yourself too hard for the first month, gradually increase so you build stamina. I hope this answers your question, if not let me know.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

I hope you did not get symptoms of Bronchitis since school has started.