Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

What does it mean when you have a thickening of the walls of

Customer Question

What does it mean when you have a thickening of the walls of your heart?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: One of my grandfathers died of a heart attack in his 50's. I am 63 and still have both parents. Grandmother's both lived to 100/104. No other history of heart problems. my mother is 85 and is the youngest of her siblings. All are alive and in pretty good shape. I have asthma and cough a lot. I also have high blood pressure. Need to lose about 30 pounds.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. No surgeries
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The thickening of heart wall means that the heart chambers like ventricles have a thicker than normal wall or a hypertrophied wall. In your case this can be due to your long standing high blood pressure as in such case the heart has to pump blood against a higher than normal resistance. Such hypertrophy is common in patients having long standing hypertension. There are other causes as well like in athletes the walls of heart are thick and also in a condition called Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy but in your case it is most likely secondary to hypertension.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating