khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I've had a lump appear on my forehead 2 weeks 4 days ago.

Customer Question

I've had a lump appear on my forehead 2 weeks 4 days ago. There is no bruise but there is a persistent dull ache in my forehead that has persisted every day since the lump appeared. The skin is numb when I touch it, from about halfway on my forehead to my left temple, down to my left ear (just the outside flap in the middle) Also, there appears to be another lump on the top leftmost side of my head under my hair. And it hurts so much I can't even think straight to type this letter. What is wrong with me?
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: 2 weeks 4 days It's hard
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I supposedly had a overactive thyroid when I was pregnant 2 years 7 months ago.... I took propothyoracil ( I haven't had my thyroid checked since I gave birth and I stopped taking meds for it immediately after giving birth. But no other problems in my medical health
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 months ago.

Can you attach the photos here? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Does anything make it better or worse? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am 5'2 3/4" tall.
I weigh 149.3lbd as per my digital scale just now. No weight change (can't get rid of these last 20 pregnancy pounds - it's been 2 years 7 months since I gave birth)
No surgeries.
I tried a hot compress - it felt like my brain was throbbing so I took it off.
Nothing makes it better, had left over Vicodin from a tooth extraction took half a pill, didn't change the level of pain (which in reality is about a consistent 2)
I did not hit my head on anything.
I have not had any head trauma; no car accidents. Although, I had several horse-related falls when I was a child, 10 - 22 years old. Most of my falls I had a helmet on. Got whacked in the back of the head with a maglight flashlight when I was 21. That created a rather large lump. But did not require that I go to the ER.
I don't drink in excess, don't do drugs prescription/recreational, don't do herbs.
Don't know what may have triggered it.
No known medical problems.
No family medical history. (My grandmother died of an aneurysm in her aortic valve at 83 years old, my grandfather died of old age and heartache at 85, my other grandmother (dads mom) died of complications from dementia at 79 years old) my parents are alive and healthyish. My mom has Grave's Disease but it's in remission and my father has spinal stenosis. I have no siblings. Let me try to get you some pictures. It's hard to photograph.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That image is actually from before the lump appeared.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These are current, I just took them.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text or Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Is it hard or soft?

There are three possibilities. 1. The skull can grow a hard bony lump (osteoma) from it's surface. This could grow gradually over a number of years, but would not usually be mobile under the skin. It is not likely. 2. Recurrent or severe sinus infections can be the cause of a lump or swelling. It is less likely because you don't have fever. 3. The fatty tissue under the surface of the skin can sometimes organise itself into a benign growth or lipoma, but this is not hard, although it is often mobile. It is less likely because you have pain. 4. It is a cyst of one your sweat glands in the skin (a sebaceous cyst). This would feel firm and mobile and would be painless unless it became inflamed or infected. If it is infected or infected, it would cause pain. It is more likely.

You should see your doctor or a dermatologist to have exam and CT scan.