Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a sore throat especially on the left side (my left)

Customer Question

Hi! I have a sore throat especially on the left side (my left) some aches in my muscles and swollen lymph nodes at the front part (left side) of my neck. I also have started a new birth control that appears to have caused me to get night sweats and get hot more often than I'd like. The two issues may be unrelated is what I'm saying. I work in a kindergarten, and several of children have had coughs recently. Do you have any idea what kind of illnessI may be dealing with?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: No numbness or tingling that I'm aware of. I mean I feel a little achey like tingle. The neck pain has been just a few days. It really got worse over the last 24 hours.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I did have unprotected sex, so I am going to get tested for HIV. But I am a very anxious person, so I'm hoping it's not that. That's what I'm worrying about and the web doesn't help. Otherwise I did have a UTI about a few weeks ago and I'm still recovering. I may have reinfected myself. I have been using Azo off and on and also drinking plenty of 100% pomegranate or cranberry. But sometimes still experience urges to go or discomfort in urinary track.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a simple viral or bacteria infection of the throat. A sore throat and/or neck pain and swollen lymph nodes all point towards a viral infection more often than not. While a bacterial infection is still possible, usually you would havea high garde fever with most bacterial infections. Secondly since you have been exposed to children who have been coughing a lot it is even more likely that you have a viral infection which by its nature is self limiting.

Now that being said, it would be best to have this evaluated especially if you have had this for more than a week. A simple clinical examination would determine if there is a bacterial infection and also certain tests like a quick strep throat test along with possible bloodwork would help in diagnosing a bacterial infection. In such a scenario you would be started on antibiotics.

WHile HIV can be a possibility but it usually causes enlarged lymph nodes on both sides of the neck, one sided enlargement can be another viral infection or even tonsillitis on the left side. So HIV is less likely here.

lastly, you should NOT be using azithromycin off and on, you should be using this consistently or not at all, as intermittent use would give rise to resistant infections as well as difficulty in eradicating the bacteria. This would also decrease the efficacy of the antibiotics as well.

Now i would suggest that you DO have this evaluated and in the meantime use OTC tylenol for the sore throat and if needed gargle with tylenol mixed in with warm water which will soothe the throat as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.