Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My wife had a total hysterectomy on Wednesday and has been

Customer Question

my wife had a total hysterectomy on Wednesday and has been recovering very well. She has been taking stool softeners and last night one dose of Miralax. This morning she tried to have a bowel movement and the stool is rock hard and difficult to come out. She used one does of Fleet enema 15 minutes ago and no bowel movement. The liquid is still inside her. I read the Fleet warning to call a doctor after 30 minutes of no results due to possibility of dehydration. If she drinks lots of liquids should we still call a doctor. Do you have any recommendations for next steps or time frame to expect. She did have narcotics for pain while in the hospital overnight. Surgery was first thing Wednesday morning. Last does of narcotics was early Thursday morning.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Is it OK to use laxative suppositories at this point?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: None, do not take any medications, healthy, 5'5", 125 lb, 58 yrs old. Have been eating normal since the surgery
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

You can wait as it can take time, nothing to worry about it may take up to 30 minutes to one hour. If she is not feeling any pain there is no emergency. Narcotics cause constipation. Ask her to move around and give her lots of fluids and fiber like psyllium husk.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the typical number of days after a total hysterectomy until the first bowel movement due to the narcotics effect?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is your response to my previous question "is it OK to use laxative suppositories at this point?"
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for reply.

It is usual to have bowel movement after 48 to 72 hours and yes she can use laxatives at this stage.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

I hope your wife is doing well now.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Wish you good health