Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have 50-60 chigger bites- I am going crazy from the

Customer Question

I have 50-60 chigger bites- I am going crazy from the itching! I woke up with 3 new bites- how is that possible and what can I do to be rid of these awful looking welts? It has been 2 weeks.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My dermatologist is booked until early October. I am using cortisone cream. I also have tried Tee Tree Oil and the pink poison ivy liquid
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Where on body do you have these chigger bites?

Do you have pain there?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for staying online.

As you have 50-60 chigger bites with severe itching there since last 2 weeks,in most of the cases,chigger bites/insect bites can be easily treated at home. Following will help you greatly:

-Wash the site thoroughly with soap and water.

- Place ice (wrapped in a washcloth) on the site of the sting for 10 minutes and then off for 10 minutes.

-Over the next several days, watch for signs of infection (such as increasing redness, swelling, or pain).

-Take tablet benadryl (anti allergic) once a day.

-Continue to apply cream containing hydrocortisone.If the area is large then apply Calamine lotion.

-Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen 400mg from your counter.It will reduce the swelling.

All these medications are available as OTC at your counter without any prescription & will help you greatly to provide dramatic relief from this severe itching & other symptoms.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
49 year old female
Bites on feet hands and firearms
I am still getting new bites ( woke up with 3 new ones) can chiggers be on sheets?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,it is quite possible & common that chiggers are on your bed sheets or matress.

Chiggers are tiny little bugs which are invisible to the eye. Wash your clothing in hot, soapy water. Soap and water usually kills the chigger larvae.

Where you are dealing with chiggers on clothes, permethrin is quite effective. It acts as a repellent but should only be applied to your clothes and not directly to your skin.Apply the repellent to clothing by rubbing or spraying it on.

Strip off all bedding and pillows. Soak and wash them in the hottest water they can stand without getting spoilt, use bleach on appropriate fabrics and dry them off on high temperatures.

All this will help you greatly to get rid off from these chiggers.

Apply ice as explained above.Take tab.Beenadryl & tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from your counter.It will reduce the swelling.These will help you greatly to provide dramatic relief from this severe itching & other symptoms.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.Have you taken the tab.Benadryl ? How is your itching now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if

you still have any questions regarding the chigger bite or any other follow up question,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh