Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Dr., I have attached an article, but you don't have to read

Customer Question

Dr. David,I have attached an article, but you don't have to read it unless you want. I'll tell you what it says. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/220.pdfIt says that they did a study with postmenopausal women and alcohol congeners--the alcohol was removed and all that was left were the phytoestrogens. In all cases, the women's FSH went DOWN, by more than 10%, meaning their estrogen rose, presumably by that amount. They were not breast cancer patients--so they were NOT on AI's, which means there must have been a fair amount of estrogen there to consider (from adrenals, testosterone, etc.).There are lots of studies that say that zometa doesn't work to kill dtc's in women until they are completely free of estrogen. It doesn't work on pre-menopausal women only on tamoxifen for example. They need goserlin.I started my zometa, and 4 months later, my doctor told me it was o.k. to drink a glass of red wine each day. He must not have been thinking of those studies or he never would have said that. And I didn't know about it at the time. So for 9 months I drank a glass of red wine every day.Now I have stopped, because I know that wine increases estrogen, and the zometa won't work without it. But I am afraid that during that 9 months, maybe some of the dtc's matured and left the bone marrow. Or do you think the dtc's all got killed in that first 4 months, when I was NOT having wine?Help! I am really worried that it is too late. That the dtc's have already gotten away, and even though I am still taking zometa and having no wine, that won't kill the ones that went to other organs during that 9 month period.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dr. David,
Nevermind. I got an answer from the author of one of the articles.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

can I help?

just click send to reply