Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I recently was having urinary problems. I went thru three

Customer Question

I recently was having urinary problems. I went thru three rounds of antibiotics and it kept coming back. I showed the nurse practitioner some little solids in urine sample. Soon after last round my anus itched like crazy. After some research and inspecting feces and urine I discovered I had pinworms. I believe I saw them in the urine as well. I took reeses pinworm medicine over the counter, butt itch is gone and urine problems are subsiding. But still see some i think in urine. Question is, will reeses over the counter get rid of pinworm in male urinary tract. Judging by symptoms getting better I think so..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

This medication is the brand name for Pyrantel, which belongs to a class of drugs known as anthelmintics. It works by making the worms unable to move (paralyzed) so that the body can remove them naturally in the stool. When used properly it is generally effective. In the case of treatment failure, we recommend doing stool tests (ova and parasites) to look for other possible causes. In your case, if symptoms have improved you are probably over the infection. Sometimes the infection can return so you may need to retreat in this case. Pinworms generally do not get into the urinary tract, though they may infect the urine as it passes out of the urethra. You can ask your doctor to test for this if you feel the urine is still abnormal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was sensitive in urethra. Still a bit sensitive. although frequent urination has stopped and pain is much better, when i have to go it means right now. I will wait this out a few days. I am getting better results then just the antibiotics. I did fail to mention itchy anus but it was not too bad until after last round of antibiotics. Thinking I have had the little buggers for a couple of years. i understand another treatment in about ten days is recommended for hatching from remaining eggs. The symptoms disappeared with cipro antibiotic but came back after several days when antibiotic was done. I am not sure if I had bacterial infection as well. Identical to urinary infection or prostrate and I am 63. confusing. I would like to be checked out by urologist but cannot afford the tests.. Needless to say I am not happy with our health care system. Any more comments or suggestions regarding the symptoms ?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

A couple things. One is that an infection in the prostate gland can be very hard to eradicate and sometimes requires 3 weeks to 2 months of antibiotics. Often, the urine tests will be normal, so a doctor often has to go on clinical suspicion alone. Keep in mind that antibiotics can lead to itchy fungal infections in other places such as the penis or anus. Not sure if you considered this, but could the white material be fungal hyphae? If this were the case, it should clear within a few weeks of using an over-the-counter antifungal cream.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the itching has stopped with reeses. But could be . I had itchy anus symptoms before all this but not as severe as recently. Funny i thought I might have hemorrhoids. But prep h wasn't doing much. I am pretty sure the itching was pinworms. Prostate infection could be a possibility. This could be multiple issues. I am paying close attention. Anyway as long as things are getting better I am feeling good about the situation. Thank You
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

That's a wise approach. Hope you continue to improve.