Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I get a bad headache in my right temple only when i cough. I

Customer Question

i get a bad headache in my right temple only when i cough.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: I have a cold/cough that has been about 3 weeks. Now may temple hurts bad and I can't stop coughing
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I wake up with a lower back pain that doesn't seem related to a muscular problem
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Are you currently taking any medications for any reason? What is your age?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
62. I am not on any new meds
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Have you had your cough evaluated?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Three weeks is a little long for a cold. Are you coughing up mucous? Any sinus issues? How about wheezing or asthma?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm coughing up mucus
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

I think you need to have your cough addressed, which may be due to bronchitis, sinusitis with postnasal drip, asthma or possibly a brewing pneumonia. If you treat the cause of your cough, this will reduce the stress on the blood vessels of your head. With each cough there are forceful contractions of the diaphragms and other muscles of respiration. This causes jets of blood into the cranium. Because the blood vessels of the brain are not accustomed to high pressures, they can actually be injured slightly in this way. Once this happens, the tiny muscles in the walls of the blood vessels can go into spasms, or dilate beyond their usual diameter, leading to pain. While this is not dangerous normally, and the blood vessels can heal quite quickly, repeated coughing can perpetuate the entire process. As long as you are not having massive headache, nausea, problems with vision or balance, etc, you should be OK until the cough gets under control.