Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My temp is 96.8......no that is not a typo.....I ache all

Customer Question

My temp is 96.8......no that is not a typo.....I ache all over, my ears hurt and my chest hurts, it is not unbearable just very irritating. ....during the night I have a dry cough but don't seem to have one during the day
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any other medical conditions or are you on any medications? Any weight gain? Any appetite changes? How long has this been going on? Any shortness of breath?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that you may be suffering from one of the following conditions. A low body temperature along with generalized body aches as well as the chest pain and dry cough can all be indicate of a viral infection. This can develop at any time and can also cause a low body temperature rather than a high one. This can last anywhere between 1-6 weeks and usually doesnt require much treatment apart from OTC therapies like tylenol etc. If the low temperature persists for more than two weeks, then viral serologies would need to be checked.

Another cause of these symptoms can be associated with the thyroid, it is possible that you may be suffering from hypothyroidism which can cause these issues as well as weight gain, hair loss, slow reflexes, fatigue etc. If this is the case then a simple thyroid function test would be diagnostic and the treatment would be with replacement hormones.

Low temperature and bodyaches along with cough can all be indicative of an autoimmune disorder, this can be lupus or any other disorder especially if you have any rash or joint pains or hair loss or oral ulcers. It would be worthwhile to get simple tests like ESR and ANA done to look into this possibility.

Lastly, chest pain with cough at night could also indicate a problem with heart disease., in some cases of heart failure the cough can be present at night and you could also have shortness of breath which worsens on exertion and at night. This would be diagnosed with a simple EKG, echocardiogram as well as BNP levels.

Cough and chest pain at night can also be explained by simple acid reflux which would be easily managed with the help of OTC prilosec. I would suggest that you start the prilosec but do get yourself evaluated and get the heart ruled out as a cause ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.