Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I was diagnosed with IBS over a year ago and am still

Customer Question

Hi there,
I was diagnosed with IBS over a year ago and am still looking for a solution to improving or even curing my situation. Here are some issues that I have put together, hoping for some link that could identify a cause of my IBS.
1. Throat swells after consuming milk, ice cream, milk tea. Usually diarrhoea follows
2. Peanut and Tree Nut allergy
3. Banana allergy
4. Raw avocado makes my tummy feel uncomfortable
5. Acid reflux with large piece of steak
6. Have the need to vacate bowels quickly, feeling of incomplete evacuation present.
7. Stomach cramps more evident in the morning then throughout the day. Relief from cramps felt when farting.
8. Poop is usually type 4 with type 6 on the edges (Bristol stool chart).
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I went for an endoscopy and colonoscopy two months ago. Inflammation was found in th small intestine and scanty growth of E.Coli. I was given Cipro to treat the E.Coli but my IBS was not resolved.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

The solution which most of my patients have given me positive feedback about is a diet called FODMAP. Please follow it for at least one week and you will see good results. To know more about FODMAP diet please consult a nutrition specialist in your location. The below linked resources (app and book) will also help you to follow this diet. Please also watch the video linked below:

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HiCustomerI have heard of the FODMAP diet but am looking for reasons as to why this has happened to me. How does one suddenly develop this disorder? Do my allergies suggest a trigger?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Still we do not know for certain the causative factor for IBS. This is ongoing research topic. Various suspected causes include infection, diet, alteration in the intestinal flora, allergy, and anxiety.

Take care.