Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I take 5 1MG of clonazepam a day. My last urine test came

Customer Question

I take 5 1MG of clonazepam a day. My last urine test came back showing I wasn't taken any. I have never missed a dose for the 10 years I have been taken this med. My doctor almost wouldn't refill my script. What would make this happen? Also 1 month before this my doctor changed my muscle relaxer from Robaxin to Diazepam. How can I prove my innocence.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

there could have been a mix up on the urine samples at the lab

usually clonazepam can be detected in the urine for up to 5 days

some patients can develop a tolerance to this medication and can start to metabolize it quicker and excrete it out of their system.

sometimes during routine urine tox screens, the cut off levels can be higher than your levels in your urine, because you have developed a tolerance to medications.

you can ask your doctor to do a urine quantatative benzodiazepine level to see your levels in your urine.

this is a much more sensitive test of your urine and will show you are metabolizing your clonazepam out of your system, but your levels could be lower than the levels for standard urine tox screen measurements.

let me know if you have questions.