Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had a allergic reaction to flagyl 4 years ago having some

Customer Question

I had a allergic reaction to flagyl 4 years ago having some peripheral neuropathy. Recently I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis and had two options to treat-flagyl gel which had a less concentrated dose than the oral dosage I took years ago and clindymyacin which is a high offender of cdiff. I was prescribed flagyl in a gel form and have been doing fine but after the 4th of 5 doses have slight tingling in my arm and hand. I am stopping until I talk to my doctor tomorrow but could 4 out of the 5 doses possibly have been enough to clear the infection? Is there anything besides drinking lots of water to getting the drug out of my system? I tolerated vancomyocin years ago-would that be a possible option for my condition?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you need a follow up gyn exam to see if your bacterial vaginosis has been cleared or not by 4th dose

what might be better is to just switch over to clindamycin and you can take that with a probiotic without worry about neuropathy.

flagyl is metabolized 60-80% through the kidneys. so drinking water and urinating will help it come out eventually

it has a half life of 8 hours and so in 40 hours, it is out of your system.

I would go with clindamycin before vanco.

let me know if you have questions.