Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I just had a blood profile run and my NA is 132...and in

Customer Question

i just had a blood profile run and my NA is 132...and in 2013 it was 135, drink about 3 liters of water a day... is that the reason... ?? :)
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Good, just had a CT scan for a lung infection, they re-ran it just recently and it showed a resolution... (cleared)... BP was 120-80 today Cho is 206... 79 which is HDL....weight is pretty good 235 6'1, like to lose 15-20 otherwise good...
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, not that i can think of...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

You have a mild decrease in your sodium level. Further testing of the urine and serum is needed to know the exact cause. The kidney is normally able to handle the 3 liters of water a day that you drink and this should not lead to hyponatremia. However individuals who drink too much water while taking part in marathons, ultramarathons, triathlons and other long-distance, high-intensity activities may lose sodium through sweat and also the increased water intake can dilute the sodium content of the blood leading to low sodium level. But drinking 3 liters should not cause this. Therefore further testing is required to find out the cause for the low sodium level. In addition to the serum and urine osmolality tests you also need to have a fasting blood glucose done.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Thanks.