Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

My chin swell last night and still stays swollen. Not sure

Customer Question

Hello, My chin swell last night and still stays swollen. Not sure what's going on. never happened before. No itch or rush. Just swollen a lot.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: Since last night. No injuries.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Also some clear liquid comes out of it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Can you upload a picture?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Let me fugure out how. One min.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here you go
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Does this itch, hurt or burn?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Started last night middle of the night. Never had this before. Not itching, doesn't hurt, or burn. But very hard around the area.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No idea eh?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Were you exposed to plants or any new foods the day prior?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not that I know of..
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

The swelling appears to be consistent with what we call "angioedema" which is from increased vascular permeability (leakage of serum fluid). It is usually in response to an allergen. So, for example, poison oak or ivy will often swell like this, sometimes with a bubbling of the skin and oozing of clear or slightly yellowish fluid. The only difference is that it typically itches a lot.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Similary, a new food that you are allergic to may have touched your chin the day before and set this in motion.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have Neosporin. Would it help?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Another possibility would be an insect bite. Some bugs secrete a tiny amount of saliva (i.e. enzymes) that can precipitate local swelling, sometimes without itch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just put all my sheets into laundry.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Neosporin might clear any topical bacteria but doesn't penetrate the skin too well. An antihistamine like benedryl or zyrtec would dampen any allergic response that is leading to the swelling.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Similarly, ice can be very effective.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it be herpes?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

I was going to mention that shingles can also present like this (particularly the one-sidedness of it). This virus is in the herpes family and can result in swelling and tiny bubbles (clear fluid) where it emerges near the end of the nerve fiber. It usually is very painful however.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Herpes 1 (oral) and herpes 2 (genital) can infect the skin if there is a break in the skin and it comes into direct contact with the virus. This would not hurt the way shingles (herpes zoster) does.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Are those tiny bubbles (vesicles) near the tip of the swelling?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One possible new thing I had is a salt water fish in San Diego on Saturday. Lingcod and red snapper.
Friend caught in Mexico and brough over. Cooked/smoked.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Any swelling of the lips or tongue after eating the fish?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lips tounge seems OK.Theres no really a tip. Just a swollen area like a quarter size and clear fluid comes out in the middle of it.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Did you cut yourself shaving there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it started last night when I was unshaved. Then I shaved to see what's going on. Small simple cuts maybe. Nothing crazy. Business as usual.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

I think the neosporin, ice and zyrtec are a good idea for "first aid" purposes. If the swelling does not come down over the next 24 hours, particularly if there is increased redness or additional drainage, you should have it examined. A bacterial infection might be brewing regardless of the original cause. This might not improve without oral antibiotics.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is Zyrtec off the shelf medicaion or prescription only?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Zyrtec (ceterizine) and claritin (loratadine) are second-generation antihistimines available OTC.

Benedryl and chlorpheniramine are first-gen and are more associated with drowsiness.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I'll try that. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just took one Claritin and applied Neosporin again. Hope it'll help a bit.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Feel free to return to our thread if you have additional questions or feedback. You can do this even after providing a rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. It looks like a bite though. Like a mosquito bite but in larger proportion. That area is very swollen. Hard! Must be some bug bit me in the middle of the night.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

That's certainly possible as the reaction to a bite can be exuberant, though usually there is some redness and itch. This typically resolves slowly over the course of several days to a week. If it starts to look infected (e.g. increased redness, warmth, pain, discharge) or you develop fever, have it looked at right away.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tiger balm helps?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

I would stay away from that...not likely to help, but may irritate.