Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Mother went to doctor Tuesday with a pretty big boil on her

Customer Question

Mother went to doctor Tuesday with a pretty big boil on her upper stomach. Doctor prescribed amox /clav to be taken twice daily for seven days. Is this an effective medicine for boils, as she is allergic to meds containing sulfer? Secondly, are boils considered contagious once someone starts antiobiotics? She is scheduled for a cardioversion this Wednesday and was wondering if it should be rescheduled.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

every boil is different

some can respond to Augmentin antibiotic

some boils need other types of antibiotics.

some boils need to be lanced and drained by a surgeon for the infection to drain out for the infection to heal.

she may have to go back to her doctor for other treatments if this antibiotic doesn't work

boils don't tend to be contagious. she should be able to have her cardioversion procedure Wednesday.

she should just let her doctors know she is taking antibiotics for it

that is fine.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When you say,"Don't tend to be contagious," are there circumstances where they can and can't? What is the proper way to care for boil to prevent it from spreading to her or someone else?

if you touch the boil, the best way to prevent spread of infection is to wash your hands with soap and water.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But if it is covered, you don't think the cardioversion on Wednesday should be a problem?

yes, the cardioversion on Wednesday will not be a problem

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com