Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Can I change antibiotics? I went to two different doctors.

Customer Question

Can I change antibiotics? I went to two different doctors. The first was from urgent care and prescribed cindamycin for my infected thumb. I only took 2 pills but it seemed to work instantly and my thumb improved in the first 24 hours. I went to my doctor the next day (since it is my doctor) and he prescribed Bacrtrim. I changed to Bactrim and took it for 3 days. My infected thumb did not improve much and I'm having side effects (tight chest, rapid heart beat, nervousness). Can I switch back to Cindamycin?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take synthroid (thyroid med) and am not allergic to any meds that I know of
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This is not the first time I've had an infected finger. It has happened several times before but I can't remember what medicine I took because it was a long time ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome.

Yes, you can switch back to clindamycin if it is not improving. No harm in it.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.