Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have recently had blood tests, I was asked if I drank a

Customer Question

I have recently had blood tests, I was asked if I drank a lot as my count was 80, does this mean I am drinking too much?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: blood, I recently had blood in my urine, which has been treated as an infection, however further test are being conducted
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that I am aware of, I have been a drinker most of my adult life but not to excess, but I do drink more than 14 unit a week, I have a full time professional job, and have had no absences for any reason in 8 years, I smoke but consider myself quite fit, I am 5.8 and 10.5 stone
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 7 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Can you name the test exactly whose value is 80?

Is it possible to send the photo of the blood report.You can send it as the attachment.

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have the result, the doctor had it on file, but I think it was the LFT but I am not sure, I have also had a sample for Gamma GT taken, I have been told I have a lot and large red blood cells
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 7 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The test report you have described of having value of 80 is most likely Serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase (SGOT)- also called Aspartate transaminase(AST) It is a liver function tests(LFT).

The normal ranges for AST is 0 to 40 IU/L. Your value of 80 is slightly above normal.. Any form of hepatic cell damage can result in an elevation in the liver enzymes especially SGOT.

Although your value is only slightly elevated & this can be possibly from your alcohol intake. You need to limit your alcohol.

Also further tests of LFT may be done such as:

• Serum glutamic pyruvate transaminase(SGPT) also called Alanine transaminase (ALT)
  • Serum albumin & globulin levels
  • Ultrasound scan of upper abdomen

The blood in urine was due to urinary tract infection & is cured.Nothing concern & related to this.

So bot***** *****ne is that as of now,there is nothing serious or dangerous.You just need to limit your alcohol intake & can have repeat LFT after 3 months.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. Hope my above answer helped you.Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 7 months ago.

Hello

Just checking in to see how things are going.Have your limited your alcohol intake?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh