Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Can i ask what is your medical question, would you mind specifying it? Also what medical conditions do you have? what has xanax been prescribed for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
disabled vet PTSD, ANXIEXTY
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Well since you have already used a number of benzodiazepines for management of PTSD it is possible that this time xanax may be able to work as it is one of the strongest benzos which is available. In most cases where other drugs dont work, xanax usually works and improves the symptoms. But xanax alone would not be enough to counter all the symptoms. In most cases in addition to xanax, other drugs need to be started to control the PTSD. This would include drugs like zoloft and paxil which will provide long term control. In addition to the drugs , psychotherapy is ESSENTIAL in management of these symptoms. You would need to undergo therapies like,

Cognitive therapy. This type of talk therapy helps you recognize the ways of thinking (cognitive patterns) that are keeping you stuck — for example, negative or inaccurate ways of perceiving normal situations

Exposure therapy. This behavioral therapy helps you safely face what you find frightening so that you can learn to cope with it effectively. One approach to exposure therapy uses "virtual reality" programs that allow you to re-enter the setting in which you experienced trauma.

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR).EMDR combines exposure therapy with a series of guided eye movements that help you process traumatic memories and change how you react to traumatic memories.

All these approaches can help you gain control of lasting fear after a traumatic event. So the combination of xanax, paxil or zoloft along with these therapies should be able to help you overcome the PTSD effectively.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately i am not set up for a phone call at the moment but we can continue here if you want?

Youre welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
call back

I am currently in the hospital and cant call back while in the hospital, that is why i mentioned we can continue here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can adf

Im sorry what do you mean by adf?