Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

My husband is 81 years old and just completed 5 months of

Customer Question

My husband is 81 years old and just completed 5 months of chemotherpy for non hodgkins lymphoma (DLBCL) in June. He is in remission and doing well except that for his bowel problems which started with his
chemo. He gets gassy and bloated feels the need for a bowel movement and usually after struggling to go for a bit he expels brown water and gas. This may happen once or twice at night and again during the day. When he finally has a bowel movement (usually once a day) it comes upon him quickly and he explodes with water, gas and a formed but loose stool. This I believe that his problems may be affected by the fact that he's been so sedentary and perhaps not taking in enough liquids. That is all beginning to change.
He's been through so much medically this year including PT and treatment for spinal stenosis and is terrified (refuses) to go to a gastroenterologist. I'm not sure if we should be treating this nutritionally for diarrhea or constipation. Help!!!!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I am adding small amounts of coconut oil to oatmeal in the morning plus banana and some strawberries/blueberries. Bloating kept him up last night with cramping.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help you today. The effects of the chemotherapy will gradually improve. At this time, stop bananas, they are constipating. The increase in fiber can by itself cause gas and bloat if it is too much for his system. His water intake should be 64-80 ounces daily. His fiber should consist of dark green vegetables (Kale, Spinach), Sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes, fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries are great), no white flour products, sprouted whole grain bread. The coconut oil (natural organic only) is great as well as olive oil. Small feedings, 5-6 times daily in place of large meals. He will improve over the next 2-3 months.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. We are credited only after you give a positive rating of 3-5 stars for the information I provided. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

How is your husband feeling today?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Can I offer any additional information to help your husband feel better?