Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

My husband has a tick bite on the top of his foot that has

Customer Question

my husband has a tick bite on the top of his foot that has the top of his foot swelled. The protocal is the antibotic doxicyclene. my question is should I take him to the ER today to get him started on the doxicyclene, or can this wait till tuesday, when we can see our primary care doctor?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about this

Doxycycline should e started at the earliest ideally within 72 hours of removal of the tick. The IDSA (infectious disease society of America) recommends that the prophylaxis for Lyme disease should be started within 72 hour of such exposure . But the earlier you get doxycycline the lesser are the chances of getting an infection. So my advise would be to go to an urgent care for a prescription of Doxycycline

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating