Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Recently a senior was admitted under a Medicare Advantage

Customer Question

Recently a senior was admitted under a Medicare Advantage Plan for her shingles condition. The condition was affecting her eye with much pain. She was released to a SNF after more than 3 days. Because she had just moved from Nevada to California, she changed to original medicare with a supplemental plan. Will this shingles condition meet the medicare 3 day qualification for the SNF?
JA: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: The senior's vision is impaired. No recent injury that I know of, just the shingles and recent falling episodes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This senior has become very weak due to the hospital stay and needs substantial help with 4 adl's. The hospital did not find anything else wrong with the patient and I question whether their testings were thorough. A copy of the medical records are forthcoming. This senior is in transition moving from Nevada to California to be with her daughter's oversight. The daughter is unable to lift her and care for her properly, so her mother will need rehab and then a board and care home or assisted living. Is there anything that would prevent medicare from covering the SNF rehab?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

here is more information about medicare coverage for skilled nursing facilities

medicare does not cover long term nursing home care, only for 3 days

state medicaid can be applied for to try to cover long term nursing home care charges.

still, it is good she has medicare insurance and a secondary insurance.

let me know if you have questions.