How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently stopped drinking alcohol it's been almost a

Customer Question

I recently stopped drinking alcohol it's been almost a month. I have been having problems with numbness,swelling,tingling and unable to make a fist on both hands. Especially early in the morning
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I really don't think anything make it better..time is guess
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am glad you stopped drinking alcohol. how much did you drink before? alot?

I am sorry you are having such swelling and numbness in your hands and arms.

long term alcohol use can damage the liver which can cause decreased liver protein production and low blood albumin levels which can cause swelling and edema in the legs and arms.

long term alcohol use can also cause low folate and vitamin B12 levels in the body which can affect nerve function and cause neuropathy nerve damage.

you need to see a doctor who can do blood test to check on your liver and your folate and B12 and iron and check on kidney function to see why you may have swelling in your arms and hands.

do you have insurance to be able to see a doctor for blood testing?