Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a question. Are all freckles and moles precancerous?

Customer Question

Hi - I have a question. Are all freckles and moles precancerous? I have heard that some doctors will say that any unusual bump on the body is precancerous. What do you think?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will you be able to email me back somewhat quick?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Sorry i was away from my PC in the ICU. Im just composing my response and will get back to you in a couple of minutes!! Sorry for the delay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problem take your time I don't want to pull you away from icu patients. You can wait until later.

Thank you for the question,

Well that is not true, not ALL freckles and moles are precancerous infact an overwhelming majority if the moles in the body are benign in nature. Almost every other person has a mole on their body and they are 99.9% of the time benign in nature, it is only a very small percentage which is precancerous.

I think what your doctor meant to say was that any NEW mole which has developed over the course of a few days to weeks or any mole which has increased in size, has changed its shape, changed its color SHOULD be suspected for being cancerous and thus biopsied. But not every mole or freckle is pre cancerous that is broad generalization and is not factually correct.

Again i apologise for the delay

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problem for the delay. Your icu patients are important. I don't want to pull you away from them. Sorry I didn't realize.

No its alright, i am usually free when i am online, they just needed an assessment of an intensivist so i am free now. No need to apologise :)

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Which department do you work in at your hospital?

I am an intensivist or a critical care specialist, but as a requirement we first train in internal medicine (which involves training in all fields of medicine including dermatology) and then specialize in critical care medicine.