Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Mu uncle got open heart surgery last 3 years back now his

Customer Question

Hello mu uncle got open heart surgery last 3 years back now his fine but last one month he is suffering from stomach pain and vomenting..doctor advise us to do Liver function test. and result is GGT is 264 , everything is high is that really a big problem.
Please guide me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.
Hi,Im sorry to hear about your uncle. Well it depends on how high the rest of the liver function tests are, if the ALT and AST are elevated as well and significantly elevated then YES that is a big issue. It could be a viral infection of the liver which is causing these elevations or even a problem in which the bile duct is blocked which would cause elevation of the GGT as well as the ALP more than the ALT. This could also cause his eyes to turn yellow and also cause other issues. The blocked duct can be due to a number of conditions which can include a gallstone or even an infection inside the liver. This can be diagnosed with the help of a simple ultrasound of the liver or if needed a CT scan of the abdomen. Regardless of the cause a GGT of 264 is markedly elevated and this usually means that there is an obstruction inside the channels of the liver or in the bile duct outside the liver which is causing the problem. The next best step here would be to get a abdominal ultrasound done which should be followed by a CT scan. if you have the other tests with you i would be happy to take a look at them.Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/