Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

When purchasing used clothing from a store such as Goodwill,

Customer Question

When purchasing used clothing from a store such as Goodwill, is cleaning it once good enough before wearing it.When doing laundry, is it necessary to change clothes at all when handling dirty laundry vs. laundry that has been cleaned. I have never done this in the past- any worries? In addition, we have laundry baskets which we've designated strictly for dirty clothes. Sometimes we move the basket around by the handle without washing our hands immediately after. Any worries?I often have a runny nose when I am on my bike, but don't always have immediate access to a kleenex. If a bit gets on my clothes should I be worried in any way?We have a keypad to open and close our garage door which we have never cleaned. Any worries in this regard?Are there specific guidelines in terms of how often towel racks/hooks should be cleaned, or are there no worries in this regard?My husband sleeps in his underwear and at times we switch sides of the bed. Do I need to worry in any way about sleeping in the same place he has slept on in his underwear or would there be no concerns regarding the transfer of germs on my clothing which I would then walk around the house in (potentially touching walls, banisters etc.)I have a shower hose with a head (both of which I can remove from it's base at the top of the shower) which I use to clean off shower brushes after I use them. Sometimes the hose touches my genital area when I am either putting it back on the base or when I am cleaning off the brushes. Any cause for worry? I also have a routine where I wash my hair, then my genital area (with a brush), then my feet (with another brush as I have a small toe infection), and then another brush for my body. Is this routine ok? Any cause for worry if I don't follow the exact order?In regards ***** ***** the toilet, does it make any difference if pants/underwear are pulled down first before the seat is lifted or the seat is lifted before pulling down pants/underwear. Any worries in this regard? Also, I read a recommendation that mentioned after having a bowel movement and wiping, the area should be wiped with a wet wipe. I often don't have access to one-any worries? Is toilet paper good enough? I also keep some latex gloves on a shelf on a cabinet which is above the toilet for use when I have a bowel movement and want to take particular care that my hands are clean. Any worries about where these are stored?Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you are a germophobe ...

You need to worry LESS PLEASE !! It sounds that too are getting into some negative type OCD type thinking...

Be clean and maitain good hygiene -- YES to that

Don't get into this road of paranoia though ...not healthy and will add zero to your lifespan!!

You get a article of clothing from Goodwill ..wash it first then wear ..that is fine

Your husband and you may sleep in the nude if you want ...for goodness sake!! You and he basically Will be colonized on your skin with bacteria ..guess what EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE !! Get over it !!

The colonizing bacteria are ever-present ...not a danger ...

If you get sick with a cough then take precautions ..

Same for husband ...

If you are healthy then you do not need extra precations ...

Clean your home on regular basis -- yes of course

Don't get overboard as we do not live in a sterile world but that is ok ...

That is indeed life as we know it !

You can take a probiotic for your GI health ( good bacteria that reduces risk of infections of GI tract )

Good practice to wash hands 3 to 4 times a day or so ..not 20!!

Fine to use cleaner or antibacterial wipe on contact surfaces in home ...general cleaning once a week is fine .. You do not need wash every single sypurface daily ( excessive )

Routine cleanliness will protect you adequately and you need to worry LESS ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further questions

I will be happy to get back with you

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
General overall responses are of no help to me. Any time I have approached this service I have received specific responses to each question WITH NO PROBLEM. Can you provide this as it is what helps me to WORRY LESS.

Hello again,

I will be happy to address your questions ....

I tried to give you a concise response which I thought would be helpful for you ...

I see that you have a good deal of worry as to cleanliness and germs ...

I can specifically address your concerns in more detail certainly ...

My main point is still that you need to worry LESS I express to you ....

It is not necessary to change clothes when you wash..no...

You do not need to wash your hands simply because you move a laundry basket with dirty clothes ...no to that...

Riding bike -- runny nose -- bit of this gets on clothes ...you need not worry no...( it came from you in the first place ...)

Keypad to garage -- wipe down with an antibacterial wipe once a week is a reasonable idea ..sure to that

Towel racks and hooks I would just plan a cleaning day for bathroom once a week and cover these at that time ....

Sleeping with your husband should not be a concern unless he is I'll with an infection a few extra precautions may be wise but in general no ...you and he naturally share same colonizing germs ...harmless ...no need worry in that regard

Your shower routine sounds fine ..I see no reason for worry ...let me know If you have remaining concerns

You may opt to get antibacterial wipes to swipe clean toilet seat ...

Not mandatory nlbut may be cleaner ...yes to that

No matter of order as to pulling down pants / lifting lid ...no

A moist wipe may be superior to cleaning after a BM ...

Wash hands after using restroom of course ....

Simple toilet paper is used by vast majority so if you use TP, You do not need worry about it...

I think the latex gloves are not necessary but if it is easier for you psychologically then fine to that ....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The keypad and towel racks and hooks have not been wiped down in the past. Do I need to worry at all that we haven't been doing it?
Shower hose touching genital area- worry in any way?
Have not used antibacterial wipes to wipe toilet seat in the past- worry in any way? Have also never used wet wipes after a BM- any need to worry about this?
Latex gloves- the question referred to where they are being stored. Problem in any way?
We like to use vinegar as a environmentally friendly cleaning agent- any concerns/worries?
One other question re pill storage. I keep all my prescription pills in a drawer in the bathroom. Is this a problem in any way?

Hello again,

No it is not a worry that you have not wiped down towel racks or hooks ...these are fine to Clean if you wish but no worry that you have not been ...very minor detail here ...

Shower hose touching genital area ..that is normal ...no reason for worry ...

Most of us do not routinely wipe down toilet seat either ...not 99 percent of us ... Not to worry if you don't ...ok if you do and it helps you to feel safer psychologically

Most of us use regular old TP too...not to worry ....

No problem as to storing of your Latex gloves ..no to that

Vinegar is fine ...yes to that

Prescription pill bottles in bathroom drawer ..that is fine ..No worry to that ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further concerns

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At times when our bathroom is busy I will wash my hands in the bathroom, and then go to an adjacent room across the hall from the bathroom to dry my hands. Any worries/concerns about hands dripping water in hall.Does it matter if things like my wallet, backpacks, phone and purse are not cleaned consistently? Any worries in this regard?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The keypad has also not been cleaned-any worries?

Hello !

Crossing the hall to dry your hands is no worry ..no to that

Wallet / backpack / phone / purse are your personal items that basically would typically just be used by you...we do not generally clean these items ..not a concern ..no ( clean if a spill happens for example -- otherwise don't worry )

Not to worry as to cleaning keypad ....potential point of transmission if public use such as library and you followed someone using whom had a respiratory illness but in general use for you/ family >> not to worry

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a habit of wiping my face (e.g. nose, mouth, chin, eyes) when working on my own at the computer or talking to another person. Any worries in this regard as long as I'm not ill, (for example with a cold). I probably haven't kept my hands away from my face consistently in the past-do I need to be worried?

Hello again,

Only thing here is to keep your fingers out of your eyes ...otherwise no concern

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't kept them out of my eyes consistently- do I need to worry?

If your eyes are not irritated and red then no ..do not worry

I offer that as to help keep you out of trouble and reduce risk of pink eye in the future...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK- thanks for all your help.

You are very welcome!

let me know if you should have other concerns or discussion..

I will be happy to get back with you!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD