Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I just noticed I have foot drop on a walk this afternoon.

Customer Question

I just noticed I have foot drop on a walk this afternoon. When I walked yesterday I didn't notice it. I have been having trouble moving my big toe downward (towards the floor) for many months, but after exercising the toe it got better. Today however I am again unable to move the tow downward. What does this suggest and are these symptoms related? Thank you!
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not seen a doctor as I have just returned from my walk. I take atorvastatin, losartan, escitalopram, wellbutrin, and xanax, as well as supplemental Mg, vit C, B vitamins, fish oil, etc..
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take the medications and supplements I listed daily. I am unaware of any allergies.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have spent the last two days working in my garden, doing a great deal of bending and squatting. It has caused lower back pain that is treatable with ibuprogen and sore gluteal muscles. I am 59 years old and not overweight, but I smoke about a pack of cigarettes per day, and have done so for 40 years.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help you today. Foot drop is a sign of nerve damage, usually the Lumbar4-Lumbar5-Sacral1 nerves. It is normally not caused by muscle strain. The pain may be lessened by Ibuprofen, but you should be evaluated by your PCP or a Neurologist. You will need an MRI in addition to a complete physical examination. Long term effects of nerve compression in the low back can lead to more serious bowel and urine problems.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. We are credited only after you give a positive rating of 3-5 stars for the information I provided. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Have you arranged to be evaluated by your doctor or a neurologist for your foot drop?