Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

My ex boyfriend gave me chlamydia. I was tested for all

Customer Question

My ex boyfriend gave me chlamydia. I was tested for all std's apart from syphilis, all of which were negative. I have no symptoms but am worried I could potentially have syphilis? I was treated for chlamydia 10 weeks ago with 1g of azithromycin. I know this is the treatment for syphilis but you need 2g? I'm travelling Asia and will not be back in Australia for another month and worry this could have gone undetected. Would the 1g have been enough to treat it? I'm experiencing severe anxiety due to this and really need advice as it is difficult for me to get to a doctor at this time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Hi Therese. You probably don't have syphilis, but you can certainly get tested for it (i.e. RPR test), and it is easily treated. The treatment of choice is Penicillin G, administered perenterally, regardless of the stage. Azithro as a single 2gm dose has been shown to be effective in some populations, but is not a first line agent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I first started having unprotected sexual with him the end of March. I won't be able to get tested for another 3 weeks. If I did have it would the antibiotics still be able to treat it? Or has too much time passed?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

You can still treat it. Those who do so in the early stages (first 6-12 months) get completely better.