Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

What type of medical specialist can best treat a patient

Customer Question

What type of medical specialist can best treat a patient with Epstein Barr virus ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Patient has been treated by family doctor-GMO who says there is no treatment for symptoms. Patient must wait for resolution that may take up to 6 months.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: EPS virus and mono was active about 15 months ago. Mono negative now but EPS still positive. Patient has lost 30 lbs,insomnia, anxiety, memory and concentration difficulty and is unable to gain weight or deal with work related stress as a teacher. Patient is 50 yrs old and has a husband and two teenage daughters and also cares for her 86 yr old mother.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Patient has been elementary school teacher for nearly 20 yrs but could not deal with recent return to school and has taken a 2-week leave of absence to reduce the stress/anxiety she is feeling when returning to a profession she has enjoyed for many years. The past 18 months have been especially difficult due to the 3rd and 4th major reconstructive surgery for her adopted teenage daughter who was born with cleft palate/lip. Also her mother 86yrs old- has had multiple illnesses including spinal surgery. She was suffering from the EPS virus/mono during its active stage through-out the entire time. Her family doctor says there is no treatment, and she has seen an endocrine specialist both of whom have said her lab tests are WNL. The fatigue, depression and anxiety persist and no referrals have been offered or treatment suggested.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about patient ...

It would be ideal to consult Infectious disease specialist , regarding her issues , As EBV is a viral infection and infectious disease specialist is a right man to consult , which will help her .

Please get time and proceed further.

Regards ***** ***** luck.

“Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the link”