Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

I started yesterday morning with severe abdominal pain -

Customer Question

I started yesterday morning with severe abdominal pain - mainly in belly button area. The pain will come and go but at times is so severe it makes me cry. I have no appetite and am pretty sure I am dehydrated. Every time I drink any water I end up having diarrhea which is yellow and pure liquid. This went on all night so that I barely got any sleep and continues into today. Is this something I should go to the ER to be checked out?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It started first thing yesterday morning but it does come and go. It gets worse if I move around very much but can also occur when I am just laying down. If I lay on my side in the fetal position it seems to get better for a while but always comes back eventually no matter what I do.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Yes these symptoms do warrant a visit to the ER. Some conditions which can present with these symptoms such as appendicitis or diverticulitis can lead to dangerous complications if not treated early. However this may also likely to be due to gastrointestinal infection in which case taking adequate fluids with electrolytes and avoiding dehydration will be beneficial. However these symptoms which are severe and which is making you cry needs emergency intervention and I would advice not to delay any more. Also your hydration status and electrolyte abnormalities need to be looked for by your doctor because of the continuous liquid diarrhea that you are having. If any abnormality is presented this needs to be corrected.

Take care.

Please rate the answer by clicking 5 stars above.