Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am a 20 y old female and my problem is that I am alwys

Customer Question

hey,
I am a 20 y old female and my problem is that I am alwys tired. I have been feeling tired for about 4 years now, earlier I thought it was because of my diet or because I didn't sleep enough but now I have been eating an about 80 percent healtgy vegan diet and I only work part time so I get a lot of sleep. When I am not working I am in my bed reading or on my computer, so really low energy activities. recently I have been feeling extremely drained with my legs and arms hurting.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

From what you are describing there can be a number of conditions which can cause this sort of fatigue. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have an underactive thyroid gland. This can cause the extreme fatigue as well as coarse skin, slow reflexes, hair loss as well as constipation and weight gain. A simple thyroid function test would be diagnostic here.

Another cause can be a problem with the adrenal gland which can cause this problem. Again a cortisol level would have to be done as well as as 24 hour urinary cortisol level. This would be corrected with steroid replacement therapy.

Another cause can be associated with autoimmune diseases which can be diagnosed with the help of tests like ESR and ANA followed by a complete ENA profile.

Lastly a vitamin D deficiency can also cause fatigue as well as the pains which you are feeling in your limbs. This can be diagnosed by getting a vitamin D level done.

So i would suggest that you contact your doctor and have these conditions looked into and get the above tests done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have gotten my thyroid glands tested a year ago,I had my blood taken and did an ultrasound because I had the feeling that there was something that shouldn't be there and pressure, but there wasn't anything suspicious. However the symptoms you are describing I have experienced: constipation and hair loss mainly.
Yes I have heard about the adrenal gland problem, what would be the cause of this?
Vitamin D deficiency could be possible, as I am very rarely leaving the house, but I do sometimes take a supplement so I am not sure. I also got my blood tested about 2 years ago for iron deficiency which I didn't have, would a vitamin d deficiency have shown then?

No a vitamin D deficiency would have be tested for specifically. An adrenal gland problem can arise because of tumors or overgrowth of the gland itself. USually the tumors are benign in nature and can cause increased release of the hormones. Similarly an infection can cause decreased production of hormones from the adrenal gland and that is why it should be evaluated. You should also get the thyroid tested once again, simply because sometimes a thyroid problems takes time to show up on the tests so it is best that you do get tested for it. A simple TSH, T3 and T4 level should suffice.