Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My question is a concern from a gastroligist,about the

Customer Question

my question is a concern from a gastroligist,about the disiese of chrons,& colitis.also have aa serve lactose intolerance,have had divaticoltis,probLEMS,& IBS I had part of my bowel & colon removed with a prolapsed bowel fixed also HAVE BEEN HOSPITAL FOR THAT the divaticolitis.what are the test performed to know if you have colitis,chrons sever lactose intollarense & IBS. &WHAT CANBE DONE TO TEST THESE SICKNESES & WHAT IF ANY THING CAN HELP THESE CONDITIONS? I DON,T LEAVE MY HOME ANYMORE.I ALSO HAVE BLADDER PROBLEMS.I HAD A SURGERY (A PELVIC SLING WHICH ENDED GIVING ME MORE PROBLEMS SO WHAT DO YOU SUGEST? AM MOST OF THE TIME I,M IN TERRABLE PAIN & UNCOMFOTTABLE SO DON,T LEAVE MY BED . I DON,T KNOW WHAT TO BUY WHEN I GO TO THE STORE EVERYTHING I BUY CONTRA-DICTS OTHER PROBLEMS. PLEDE HELP ME FOR A BETTER LIFE. I AM 67YRS OLD. & WOULD LIKR TOKNOW A LITTLE BIT OFRELIEF FROM THESE PROBLEMS & WHAT AM I DOING WRONG TO GET THESE DERRIBLE PROBLEMS THANK YOU CAROLYN PROUDE, MY EMAIL IS***@******.*** for facebook my phone #,s are(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####/ thank you for listening to all my questions, & complaints.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. I am sorry that no expert has yet responded to your question.

The first steps would be to first make a firm diagnosis. It is difficult to know what should be done regardnig diet or treatment until a proper diagnosis is made.

The primary test that would detect Crohn's disease and other forms of colitis would be a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy would also be able to assess the current status of diverticula. Doctors will usually wait until an acute diverticulitis has resolved before performing a colonoscopy, but it will ultimately be the appropriate test to look for Crohn's disease or colitis.

The preferred test to diagnose lactose intolerance is a breath test after ingestion of lactose. Another option would be to follow a lactose-free diet to see if symptoms improve.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.