Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have been on fluticadone for about 4 1/2 weeks. Developed

Customer Question

I have been on fluticadone for about 4 1/2 weeks. Developed sore throat and difficulty swollowing. I ask my doctor if he thought the nasal spray was the cause. His answer was, easy enough to know, and advised me to stop taking it for 3 to 5 days. Just a concern about it needing to be weaned. What are your thoughts
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No fever. Symptoms started Thursday afternoon. I did not take the spray Thursday night. This morning symptoms are better. Thought minorly sore but I can swollow and eat!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Having surgery Wednesdsay for an enlarged cervical mode removal. I
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

usually fluticasone (Flonase) steroid nasal sprays don't have to be weaned when you need to stop it.

however, long term steroid nasal sprays can suppress your immune system in your throat

and can increase risks for throat candada fungal throat infections which can cause sore throat

you should have a doctor look down your throat

there are antifungal mouth washes like Nystatin mouth washes and antifungal clotrimazole prescription throat lozenges which can kill fungal infections in your throat which could help your symptoms.

talk to your doctor about this possibility of having a throat fungal infection.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using