Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have started 2 years ago having nerve pain in my

Customer Question

I have started 2 years ago having nerve pain in my upperback.then about a half a year ago i developed at first mild and now severe upper gastric distress. I always have had problems with drs ignore me an are ver dis miseive
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: On my back i have a lidocaine patch and for the gastric issue im taking 1 ranitidide 150mg bid and lately prilosec 20 mg bid ..... Another interestic fact evereybody on my dads side had severe gallstones. What is more likely or could it be pancreatic or lung cancer . Btw Im 49 years old and weight a little more than i should
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I guess i have severe migraines and sinus infection in thlast 10 years im really low on energy were i can only work 8 hours and have to come home and lay down to sleep.
Also i have had issues with severe bladder changes i have to go very frequently
And my dr 's dissmis the complaints what shoud i do the pain is definitely much worse
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What evaluation has been done thus far for the abdominal pain?

Have you noticed anything that makes the abdominal pain better or worse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My ent prescribed Prilosec 20 mg bid. I had an intranvaginal ultrasound and biopsy last year but my upper back pain is not bee addressed and now my uppergatric pain is getting so bad tha I had to include Zantac 150 mg bid to my other regimen. Also have severe bladder pain and urgency not caused by an infection

Have you had an ultrasound of the upper abdomen?

Does eating a meal make the pain better or worse?

Are certain foods more likely to do so?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No , I cannot convince my pcp to do at least a chest X-ray or an ultrasound . I really haven't eaten much and in the last month lost 10 lymph nodes in my throat have been swollenforn1 &1/2 year and it doesn't seem to get bettwr

Thank you for the additional information.

It certainly is very common for upper abdominal pain to be related to an acid irritation syndrome, such as acid reflux, gastritis, or ulcers. So, it is reasonable in someone with typical symptoms to first be treated with a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as the Prilosec or Zantac. However, if the symptoms do not improve, it is reasonable to consider other possible causes of upper abdominal pain.

Certainly, gallstones are also fairly common, and while it will more often cause pain in the right upper abdomen, it can sometimes cause pain in the center upper abdomen. It is also very typical for gallstone pain to get worse after a meal, and particularly after a meal that has more fatty foods.

Another possibility to consider would be pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is far less common than an acid irritation syndrome or gallstones, but it is still fairly common and should be considered if the pain is persistent and no other cause can be identified.

The usual tests for the above problems would be additional blood tests, and particularly enzymes of the pancreas, along with an ultrasound of the gallbladder.

It is also possible for nerve pain to be felt in the abdomen. Since nerves run throughout the body, nerve pain can also be felt in various locations throughout the body. It is not as easy to test the nerves in the abdomen as it is for other areas of the body, but if the pain is persistent in someone with known nerve pain elsewhere, it would be reasonable to consider additional treatment oriented towards nerve pain to see of the abdominal pain improves.

The system says that you requested a phone call, and I would be glad to do so, but the processing of the request failed, so you may need to contact customer service to complete the processing.

Or if you have any additional questions to address in this format, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.