Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I need to ask a good experience doctor about mrsa?

Customer Question

I need to ask a good experience doctor about mrsa ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the most common test do they take to see if your colonize with it
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

A nasal swab can be performed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had three test on my nose they all came back negative for colonization for Mrsa I had staff Pneumonia back in early July and it showed up in my sputum but I just took my nasal swab test on August 9 and back in July as well so what do you think should I continue trying to take a Nother sputum test I was colonized what it what it be in my nasal
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I was colonized with it would in it show up in my nose
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Yes, colonization is typically in the nasal passages. While one swab might miss it, multiple swabs shouldn't. Either way, you can treat the nares with mupirocin antibacterial ointment just to be sure. The other possibilities would be that the sputum test was a false positive (which can happen in a hospital setting quite easily) or you have cleared it completely.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I took one sputum sample when I had pneumonia and one hospital and then I took another inducement sputum sample to a different hospital so it was positive twice but both weren't very good hospitals they got a lot of stuff mixed up like they didn't even know that I was pregnant they never ran a test and took an x-ray on me
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

You could ask your doctor to treat you with mupirocon intranasal and then retest an induced sputum.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I heard there are no chores for this bacteria that it just keeps coming back
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

No. You can eradicate it. You can also use high dose penicillin. In some cases, it does come back. In these susceptible individuals it probabaly is quiescent anyway and does not cause harm...unless one gets very sick from something.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But isn't it contagious but if you are not colonized with it doesn't it mean you do not have it anymore it was 1+ in my sputum do you know what that means
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Again, this could be a lab error, or you could have eradicated it already on your own. You need to repeat the test. If still positive, ask your doctor for a referral to an infectious disease specialist, as our understanding of this organsim is still evolving, and he or she will know whether it needs to be treated and, if so, how to best do so to ensure eradication.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long can post nasal drip last for is this a sign of mrsa
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Post nasal drip is a sign of allergic rhinitis or sinusitis. It usually has nothing to do with mrsa. If you suspected a connection, you could ask your doctor to swab your throat to see if mrsa grows out...though this is unlikely.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK well they did a swab for strep you think they tested for Mrsa that's why I was in the hospital for for testing for mrsa
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

They usually just test for strep. You would need to ask the lab specifically to test for staph aureus...they would tell you if it was meth resistant.