Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My 95 year old husband has a Boston Technology Pacemaker

Customer Question

My 95 year old husband has a Boston Technology Pacemaker made by Guidant and I believe one lead implanted in 2008. He is pacer dependent having had an ablation. In February and March of this year his pacer read less than 6 months (it had read 6 months for what I remember as being well over a year). Because he has CHF, and bladder cancer, he has chosen not to have his battery replaced. When would we expect him to go into the 90 period for elective replacement and my main question is will he notice any difference in the way he feels during the 90 days before he goes into E.O.L. We know what to expect at that time. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your husband's situation.

it sounds like he has a lot of issues going on.

this question has been studied in research

"In the overall group, the ERI (elective replacement indicator) was reached at 18.9 +/- 3.9 months (mean +/- standard deviation). The time from ERI attainment to generator exchange due to battery depletion was 8.1 +/- 5.1 months, and total battery life was 27.3 +/- 3.1 months"

he should not notice any difference in the way he feels

let me know if you have other questions.